After reading the article "Engage Me or Enrage Me: What Today's Learners Demand" by Marc Prensky I feel a weight and a burden as a future educator. It is my responsibility to create new and interesting ways of getting students to learn. If I fail to engage my students I fail to give them the education they deserve. As I was reading I became overwhelmed at the idea that I am competing with the huge industries of games, music, movies, which have millions of dollars to create innovative and eye-catching ideas. However, after I thought about it I realized that I can use some of these items in my classroom, or I could take something that they thought of and change it to fit what I am teaching. It is important have elements in my classroom that relate to my students and what they are interested in. I want to create a classroom that says to my students what those games do, it's “Exciting!” and “Challenging!”, or tells them they can “Master…”, “Amass…”, “Build…”, “Perform…”, “Research…”,
“Lead…”, and of course “Don’t work alone.” I actually look forward to the challenge of making my classroom one that will reach this generation of learners. I thrive on thinking outside the box and trying something new. I can't wait to get started!
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Tina, great post regarding the article and how the author challenged you to think ahead to your own classroom and the responsibility that you have to keep your students engaged. And your students will not only have a teacher who is excited to teach them, but also a teacher who looks for ways and opportunties to use the resources available to challenge and encourage them to never stop learning.
Post a Comment