Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Reasons for Desiring to be a Teacher

There are many different things I thought about doing with my life, like being an accountant, an architect, an interior designer, a dentist, a business manager, and a teacher. Having all these ideas of what I wanted to do took time and thought to know what I would be a wise choice for college study. Between my time in community college and coming to Northwest University I was able to confidently decide that being a teacher was what I really wanted.
When I was thinking through what I liked about different careers, I could see that teaching included what I was looking for in all the others. As a teacher I will be able to organize paperwork like an accountant, I will be able to design and structure the classroom like an architect and interior designer, I will be able to help people’s tangible needs like a dentist, and I will be able to lead and build up a team like a business manager.
Above all, I care about helping people grow and discover their unique gifts and talents. I choose to be a resident assistant purposefully because I don’t think that I should wait until I have a degree to do so. I choose to help others grow as a way of life, not just a career. I want to be more than a teacher; I want to be a people-builder.
The idea of becoming a teacher seems very fitting when I look at the person I see myself to be, the person I have described in each of these sections. My greatest joys are in learning and helping others learn. I cannot think of a better career choice that would center on these two things. Life may take me in many directions, but on the inside I will always have the heart of a teacher.

1 comment:

Prof. Sorenson said...

Thanks for sharing your story. With the desire to be a people-builder you will be a great teacher!